The purpose of irponline.org is to be the offical website of International Registration Plan, Inc..
The irponline.org provides officially sanctioned information from the International Registration Plan, Inc. organization and its principals. The information may be too complex and voluminous for the majority of us, however if you are a truck driver or owner operator it will have an effect on you.
The staff at Sky Transport Solutions monitors all notifications on the irponline.org website and notes them. If the notices pertain to STS clients then the notifications will be applied accordingly.
This organization does not make rules or compliance policies pertaining to trucking. They are more of an overseer of the IRP process.
Here is a great document that summarizes the IRP organization.
The most important points are.
What Is It?
• The International Registration Plan (IRP) is an agreement among 48 U.S. states, the District of Columbia and 10 Canadian provinces which recognizes the registration of commercial motor vehicles registered by other
jurisdictions. It provides for payment of apportioned licensing fees based on the total distance operated in
all member jurisdictions.
• IRP covers registration of heavy commercial motor vehicles traveling into more than one jurisdiction.
Why Are We Members?
• According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, sanctioning the IRP (interstate) registrations of
commercial motor vehicles is a powerful enforcement tool in deterring out-of-service carriers from operating on U.S. roadways.
• The U.S. Congress enacted legislation in 1991 which mandated that all the states (except Alaska and Hawaii)
join IRP by 1996.
• Prior to that, states and provinces had varying rules that allowed certain jurisdictions to travel through
another with either reciprocity or a separate registration credential.
How Do We Benefit?
• IRP facilitates the registration of over 2.4 million commercial motor vehicles in the U.S. and Canada and over
2 billion U.S. dollars in revenue for U.S. and Canadian jurisdictions each year.
• IRP helps to ensure a smooth registration process and strives to positively impact safe, efficient and effective
operations for commercial motor vehicles in North America.